10/24/12

Forts

fort illustration


       My favorite fort, as a kid (and likely, still to this day), was constructed under a weeping willow tree in my backyard.  It was quiet, drenched in nature, and my dog, Pudgie, would sleep next to me.  I was a happy little girl under that tree.

What is it about forts that instantly propels people to their happy place?  I'd say it's an inherent need + desire to create shelter.  Knowing that we have a roof (or blankets) over our heads makes us more relaxed animals.  But, as humans, we tend to make our shelters our homes.  We bring in comfortable bedding and books and music.  We nestle in with people we love.  We have our own secret havens; a refuge from the outside world when we need a break.

Forts are awesome psychological shelters, if nothing else.  As a kid, I also searched out indoor nooks for forts, reconstructed rooms to use the furnishings to act as wall beams and brought in my favorite books, my favorite stuffed animals, and my pillow and blankets.  I felt that this was all I needed to survive (that and the cookies I snuck in.)

Here's my homage to forts, for kids + for adults.  


white tipi fort


 +


kids backyard fort


+


romantic fort


+


black and white striped tipi fort


+


romantic fort



In which fort would you love to dream?



[ fort illustrationtipi fort + backyard fort outdoor fort  + striped fort + light-filled fort ]
Template by Pink + Lola