2/1/12

Guest Blogger: The Best Thing Ever, This Week

Another geek lovefest (this is a good thing, mind you) from Brian.  Ready?  Go!

Do You Want To Play A Game?


Oh hello there! Let me just get to the next save point and... I'll...be... right... with... (beeep boop bop) .. you.

There!

I've always been into playing games. Who hasn't? Well, maybe some people aren't but they can't be much fun to hang out with. The first game I can remember being really into was Candyland. I was obsessed with it.

Of course, I was also obsessed with actual *candy*, so maybe this was not a good game for me to play, as perhaps it led to my childhood obesity issues. I still have nightmares about drowning in a molasses swamp.

I still enjoy games (and candy. send candy), and one of the best card type games I've played lately has been Fluxx. There are lots of different Fluxx decks, but the basic rule is that the rules keep changing. It's a little confusing at first, but each card is printed with a new rule. The payers lay down their cards, adapting the goal of the game with every round. It's a bit crazy, but lots of fun as you realize that you might've been sooo close to winning just to watch your opponent lay down a card which changes the whole game.
Last Night on Earth is one of my new favorite board games. The board is a map of a small town, and there are dozens of tiny plastic zombies scattered around. You play as a survivor character, traveling through town trying to find supplies, weapons, and an escape route. I love horror movies, and this does a great job of converting those zombie apocalypse movies into board game form. And yes, when I play, I always play as the "sexy farmer's daughter".

I absolutely admit that I love videogames. As a kid, I had the Atari, and I worked at a game studio for a bit and got hooked on a few games. I'm not really into "shooter" games (though there are a couple I loooove), I am mostly drawn to games that have engrossing storylines. The first one I can think of that I would consider "art" is Ico. It was released for the Playstation 2, but there is a new updated version for PS3. You play as a small boy guiding a blind princess through a crumbling castle. There's very little dialog, just the sound of the wind blowing through overgrown courtyards. It's surprisingly beautiful, and many were shocked at the emotional impact the game brought.

On the flip side, Katamari Damacy is just goofy bubblegum (caaaandy) blissful fun. You play as a teeny tiny Prince, tasked by your strangely emotionally abusive father The King Of the Universe to roll up items from Earth in order to create stars. As you progress, the objects you roll up get bigger and bigger. It's a surreal way to pass an afternoon. Maybe I was a bit too competitive playing this against my 2 year old niece, as I crushed her over and over and caused her to swear and throw her controller to the floor. But then I played the theme song to her and we were friends again.


On the third flip side, I have a weakness for really batshit scary games.

I've been hooked on the Silent Hill games since the first one. Each one has gotten progressively worse, but I have hopes the upcoming chapter will be back to "normal". The whole game series centers around a cursed town filled with monstrous creatures you must bludgeon with pipes/bats/axes. My wife likes to sit behind me and navigate, as I tend to react in games the same way I would react in real life to a gibbering, shambling toothy hot dog on legs- I run the hell out of there. These games are pretty gory, so I wouldn't suggest playing them unless you have the stomach for things like that.
There is an amazing amount of wonderful and creative online indie games that are NOT FARMVILLE. THAT IS NOT A GAME. Tonight I Die is a great short indie game that starts you out, with no explanation, as a girl drowning at the bottom of a dark lake. Click around and see what happens. It's really neat and I keep wishing I had the time and knowledge to put together something like this.


So that's it for now! I hope you have fun! As for me, a father of a 2 year old, my new favorite game is "Shhhh, Don't Wake The Daddy"

"Always onwards, ever upwards and forever twirling, twirling, twirling."

Thanks, Brian!
{Most photos found HERE... if we are missing a source, please feel free to let us know.}

Template by Pink + Lola